Glass Kitchen Splashbacks

Wednesday 16th March 2011

I have been busy this past week trying to organise myself and gather quotes for things that I need done before moving into my house when it's ready. One of the most important things to me is the splashback for the kitchen.


Photo from http://www.allperthglass.com.au

I've emailed a few places for quotes for glass kitchen splashback. Why glass when tiles are cheaper? Yes, the glass looks nicer but it's more of a practical reason. You can simply wipe it clean with a damp cloth whereas with tiles you have to worry about the grout inbetween the tiles.

I've gotten quotes for the two configurations below:



The area shaded in green is where the glass splashback is to go.

It will be cheaper to just have the glass splashback extend the length of the benchtop (and the side of the pantry) but there will be additional costs involved in cutting the top of the glass to fit the shape of the rangehood because it's curved and has a part of the unit protruding at the bottom.



The picture above depicts the 'upside down T' configuration. It costs more to cut the two side pieces to fit on the sides of the rangehood so I think I may have to forego this option.

Additional costs are also charged for cutting a hole for any GPO's (which I have in the side of the pantry).

I have received several quotes and already there is a bit of a difference in prices. I think the most difficult decision will be selecting the colour of the splashback! I am going to have to wait until I can see how the light plays around the kitchen to decide what colour will be best. That and I need to remove the single row of tiles that are already in place to make way for the glass splashback!

3 comments:

  1. My sister has a glass splashback & they are awesome! My parent's have replaced their tiles 2-3 times now & the grout looks all discoloured regardless of whether you seal it or not! Grout also dries out & crumbles.

    Have you thought about stainless steel sheeting to cover those side pieces?? Or maybe just use an oil-based sealant on the plaster & then paint over it as per usual??

    Hmmmm...

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrea, yeah I love the look of the glass! Yeah I think I will be just painting the wall on either side of the rangehood as it will blow my budget to have them covered by the glass splashback too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely prefer splashbacks to tiles now. I think it gives a much better look to your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete