Completing the Driveway

Wednesday 17th August 2011

Today I was finally able to take the day off work and Long came over to help me complete the driveway paving. Long story short, the builders left a gap about 30cm from the end of the pavers to the concrete verge. My dad went out and bought more pavers for me and they've been sitting around waiting for me to get to it.


So, firstly we began by chiseling away the concrete that the builders had set around the pavers to keep them in place.




My neighbour lent me his diamond head cutter thing and Long got to work trimming about one centimetre off one of the edges of the pavers to make them fit.

After a few pavers, we realised that the amount of paver we had to trim off was going to be different as the pavers had been laid at a very slight angle to the verge. It was a matter of millimetres!


So, we had to place the pavers along the length of the driveway and individually mark out how much needed to be trimmed.



This worked really well.


Almost done!


Once all the pavers were in place, we went along and smacked them down with the rubber mallet to make sure they were all level.



Now all we needed to do was mix up a few bags of cement and pack this down at the sides of the driveway to hold the pavers in position. It'll be a few days before I will drive the car up onto it just to give the concrete plenty of time to set properly.



Voila! In no time at all, we had the driveway finished! Ok, it reality it took about two hours but I thought it would take longer.

I made lunch for us and we ate them while sitting in the garage, admiring our hard work, much to the amusement of some of my neighbours who drove past and saw us.


After a few days, I finally mounted the kerb, slowly eased up the driveway and into my garage for the first time. My car finally has a home!

No comments:

Post a Comment