Splashback

Tuesday 30th August 2011

I would ultimately like to have a glass splashback installed in the kitchen but for the time being, a large piece of cardboard box was doing the job. A family friend came over and when he saw the cardboard box, he offered to cut me a sheet of aluminium to use as a splashback. I said 'sure!'. It will not only be a safer option, but it will look more aesthetically pleasing too!

They came over one evening and helped me to adhere it to the wall with some industrial strength double-sided tape.


I gotta say...it looks good!

All was well until about 6am in the morning. I woke to a sudden 'CRASH BANG!' and lay in bed, petrified. My first alarming thought was that someone had broken into my house and then I filled with dread as I realised that there was no lock on my bedroom door and that the intruder could come into my room any second. I didn't know whether to leap up and lock myself in the bathroom or to pretend to still be asleep and hope that the intruder would leave. After some agonising seconds, I didn't hear any retreating footsteps of anyone making a getaway, so I cautiously got out of bed and swung my bedroom door open.

I stepped out and saw immediately what had caused the noise. The metal splashback had eventually been too heavy for the double-sided tape to hold up and it had slid off the wall and onto the floor, taking a glass spaghetti jar with it.

At least that explained the noise!

But now I have some scratches in the vinyl floor where the sharp corners of the splashback had gouged it out. *sniff* It's not really that bad and you can't see the cuts in the vinyl unless you go looking for them. But I know they're there.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Sarena that really sucks! I can totally relate to that 'not sure if I should get up and check on that noise or not' feeling- good on you for being so brave!

    ReplyDelete