Practical Completion Inspection

Thursday 31st March 2011

Yesterday I met the building supervisor onsite and performed the 'Practical Completion Inspection'. This is where you go through the house, inside and out, to inspect for things that need to be fixed or corrected. The builders make a list of these things that need attention and need to go about fixing them before I go and perform a final inspection and then sign off on the house as being completed.



Site clean up has been done.

After getting some advice from friends who have built, I checked for the following things:

1. Power points work
2. Doors open and close properly
3. Walls don't have cracks

I know I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to things. I was eyeing off the edges of the vinyl where it meets the wall to make sure there weren't any bits that were too short or too long. I checked the tiling and the grout.

We ran the showers and taps to check for cold and hot water. I turned on the laundry tap, unaware that air can be trapped in the pipes if the taps have just been installed and never used. I had water blast all over me but in the warm weather it dried up very quickly.

There are some things that the builder needs to attend to.

There are some scratches to the panels underneath the island. Several of the panels will need to be replaced. We were both down on our knees scratching at the marks to check if they were just remnants of glue or if they were indeed scratches.

The painters missed the top side of the exterior of the ensuite window. They also painted the doors to the garage in the wrong colour so they will need to redo those in the correct colour.

The chips to the rendering at the front of the house have been patched up and painted over. The various chips on the walls throughout the house have all been patched up.

The building supervisor explained the solar hot water system to me and I asked alot of questions. I asked him to show me the mains power, gas and water lines in case I need to shut them off. He was very thorough and patient to explain things to me.

The garage door was booked in to be installed yesterday but something came up and so hopefully they will be able to get out there to install it today. The termite treatment should also be booked in for today. The cleaning crew will also be in to do a clean and polish things up, but I will still have to go through and do a more thorough job afterwards.

So...hopefully in ten days (or less) they will get back to me to go out and inspect the repairs and then I can sign off on the house. After that, I hope Keystart will be quick to get out there to inspect the house, make sure all the minimum requirements are met and then make the third (and final) progress payment to the builders. I will also have to arrange to pay the outstanding balance that I incurred with all the variations and extra costs involved.

Then...I'll get the keys and I can finally crack open that bottle of Moet I've been saving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment