You've Got Mail

Monday 9th May 2011



Before heading over east for work, Dad helped me install my new letterbox.

I bought it for about $12 from Bunnings. I didn't want to spend much because I hope to one day build a letterbox into the brickwall that I would like to have fencing off the front of my property from the main street.

Bring on the junk mail!

Speaking of junk mail...

Last week I rang the Gosnells council to arrange for my bins to be delivered to the house. The girl in the sanitation department whom I spoke to asked if I was living at the property. I said I was in the process of moving in, to which she replied that the council has a policy where they do not deliver bins to properties which are currently unoccupied. I explained that I had only just returned from overseas the night before and that I was organising to move in as soon as possible.

She said that she would instruct the bins to be delivered on Friday but warned me that the drivers would not leave the bins if they believed the house to be uninhabited.

I thought this was ridiculous.

Firstly, because why would I move into my house without bins for rubbish? I'm not going to store it in the garage with my stored belongings. I'm not going to keep the rubbish outside at the mercy of the weather should it rain or be blown away by a gust of wind.

Secondly, how can the drivers determine if someone is living in my home or not? I have blinds on every window and they wouldn't be able to see into my house, nor should they be spying into the house.

Thirdly, my Dad pointed out that perhaps I should comment that if they won't deliver my bins, I should not have to pay my council rates.

I planned to leave a pair of old shoes outside the front door to make it look like I was staying in the house but I didn't have time to stop by on the way to work. I didn't receive the bins on Friday so over the weekend I was preparing myself to call the council back and complain about it on Monday.

Just as well I didn't...I stopped by the house on Monday after work and when I peered out through the blinds into the alfresco area, I saw my bins.

No comments:

Post a Comment