Hard Digging

Monday 30th May 2011

Today I spent five hours toiling away with some hard digging. In preparation for the concrete guys coming out tomorrow, I had to level the soil out a bit down one side of the house and move the excess to fill out the back to level it out a bit.



I started off with just a shovel and a rake, working my way from the garage door, but soon the dirt was piling up and what I really needed was a wheelbarrow, which I didn't have. I probably could have asked a neighbour to borrow one but I didn't want to impose. One call to Dad and he had my cousin drop one off to me. Alas, the tyre leaked air and pretty soon it was out of commission.



Fortunately, the concrete guy came out to start laying the formwork (the outline for where the concrete is to be poured) and I was able to use his wheelbarrow. Good timing.



I got Dad's spirit level out to check how level I had it...I couldn't help but squeal in delight when I saw I was spot on!



I was really annoyed to discover that the builders had buried a pile of leftover building rubble along one border of my land. At first I thought it was just a few stakes of wood from the roof framework, but then as I continued to dig, I was striking more and more. There were several pieces that were about four or five metres long! I contacted the builders and had them organise someone to come out to dig up the rest of the rubble early in the morning but the concrete guy was much too efficient and did it for me so that he could get on with laying the formwork.

I pray it does not rain tomorrow so the concrete guys can get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment